CHATTANOOGA'S JET AGE AIRPORT
Part three of the history of airline service at Chattanooga Airport covers the opening of the new "jet age" terminal in 1964 up through the mid to late 1960s.
A major addition to the airport terminal at Chattanooga's Lovell Field was completed in 1964 and featured a modern ticket lobby and new concourse designed to accommodate jet aircraft. This is the cover of the souvenir program that was published to commemorate the opening. Courtesy of Bill Peterson.
Artists depiction of the expanded terminal. The original 1930 terminal, old control tower and 1955 addition were all incorporated into the design and can be seen to the left of the new ticket lobby and concourse.
1964 curbside view of the new terminal from the collection of the Chattanooga Public Library.
This 1964 aerial view shows the new concourse extending to the left and the main lobby at right. The original terminal can be seen behind the far right end of the building. The ramp behind the 1955 terminal addition is blackened from years of oil leaking from old piston engines. From the collection of the Chattanooga Public Library.
Side view of the new terminal, which is vaguely reminiscent of the design of Washington Dulles airport in this 1964 photo from the Chattanooga Public Library. The monument in the foreground was erected in 1947 in memory of the Chattanooga pilots who lost their lives in World War II.
1964 view of the bright, spacious and modern airport lobby.
Here's the view from the opposite end of the lobby, taken from the ramp that led to the concourse. From the collection of the Chattanooga Public Library.
Panoramic view of the new Lovell Field terminal from July 15, 1964 showing the counters of Eastern, Delta, United and Southern Airways. United Airlines gained access to Chattanooga when they merged with Capital Airlines the previous year. Courtesy of Bill Peterson.
The photo at left shows the ramp and stairs that led from the ticketing area to the concourse which ran off the left. The second photo shows the interior from the far opposite end of the lobby. The Skyline Restaurant can be seen at far right. Courtesy of Bill Peterson.
View from inside the concourse, looking back towards the main terminal. Courtesy of Bill Peterson.
These are the stairs that led to the rooftop observation deck. Courtesy of Bill Peterson.
Bill Peterson also sent in this newspaper clipping showing a family enjoying the rooftop view on July 15, 1964.
The colorful Skyline Restaurant Coffee Shop and Dining Room was adjacent to the ticket counters at Lovell Field.
Another view of the airport restaurant, courtesy of Bill Peterson. Bill wrote, "The fantastic 'Coffee Shop', as it was called. It was really a full service restaurant serving excellent diner fare."
A great 1965 view of the terminal from the Chattanooga Public Library collection. The original 1930 hangar is at bottom right.
This detail of the same photo showing an Eastern Air Lines Lockheed L-188 Electra at left and a Delta DC-6 to the right. The original 1930 terminal is virtually buried beneath the tower and hidden by the numerous additions and expansions that were constructed over the decades
Another 1965 view showing a United Airlines Vickers Viscount on the departure end of runway 32. Chattanooga Public Library collection.
Aerial view from 1965 showing the new general aviation hangars. The main terminal can be seen in the distance to the left.
Lines extend from Chattanooga in every direction in this detail from an Official Airline Guide map from 1966. While the routes shown here are short, they were segments of direct routes to major cities like New York, Chicago and Dallas.
The June 30, 1967 edition of the Airport Activity Statistics of Certificated Air Carriers shows a total of 140,418 passengers boarded at Chattanooga during the previous 12 months. Delta had become the dominant carrier followed by Eastern, United and Southern.